Thursday, January 29, 2009

One Year Ago Today.....

...I remember sitting at my desk nervously awaiting my doctor's appointment. I was nervous because they had been watching the fluid (amniotic) around you and saw that it was decreasing. Don't ask me what the numbers mean but one week prior the fluid levels were around 8 (they like it to be above 10) so Doc Holladay said to drink GALLONS of water. I did and little man, I tried I really did.

So, the appointment was at 3:30 and your dad was running late-we thought he wasn't going to make it at all! (he came to every single one of your doctor appointments after 20 weeks--when we found out about one kidney). He showed up just as they called me back. After 20 weeks, I got an ultrasound every appointment and went to the doctor weekly almost from 28 week on and I truly loved seeing you squirm around all the time. I remember the doc kept saying if I (you) would just get to 36 weeks we would be in the 'safe zone'. You, my little Prince, had other plans.

After an ultrasound, we discovered the fluid levels were at 3! I was then plugged up to a machine that monitored your heart rate and after the doc saw a few spikes he 'didn't like', he decided 'it was time'. I had a wonderful nurse and friend there with me/us, named Mel who helped me relax and put our mind at ease. I had never seen your Dad so worried, although have seen it several times since then.Doc decided to admit me so he could monitor heart rate 24/7, all the while trying to pump steriods in me to help develop your lungs enough before delivery. He even said he didn't want me to go home to pack bags, but your stubborn Mama convinced him. We got to the hospital around 7pm and everyone (staff) was waiting on us. I think it hit me then how serious things could be. Doc Holladay came to the hospital around 8pm (yes, he's dedicated) to check on us-saying he had been watching and waiting from home for us to be 'hooked up'. You did well over the next day and a half until you were born.

Your Dad and I were in the hospital, mostly alone, just waiting and hoping. We decided not to find out your gender, because we wanted a surprise but looking back on the time in the hospital, I think a few nurses 'slipped' or got close. Anyway, as we sat in the hospital waiting, we had to finalize names (girl or boy) and what else was there to do, really. Daddy wanted a 'C' name,and we had it narrowed down to a few but decided on Corbett because it was my grandmothers' mothers' maiden name. We decided that, son, because that was and IS generations of STRONG women and although we didn't know if you were a girl or boy, we passed along the strength!

More to come later.......

1 comment:

Krista said...

Glad to see you sharing this story, Reid.