Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2009

a plant.....and a little boy

This is a story about a plant and a little boy.
See this plant below? I received it from a dear friend who visited me in the hospital the day I gave birth to my second child, my son. She surprised me from out town, brought this, something for my son and something for my oldest child (daughter). It was so special to me and the fact that I could replant it made it even better. However, I was afraid I would not be able to take care of my little plant well enough. I was afraid my little plant would not grow as it should. I was afraid.
Regardless, I came home and rooted it in our front planter, just waiting on something to go wrong. For a while, it didn't do so well. In fact, all last year was rough and bleak for my little plant.

This is my little plant today. Growing strong and developing. Developing a little behind but developing still the same. I have watched my little plant through the last year and a half, holding my breath, trying to be positive that things would be okay. They are. See my little plant? It's a miracle it's alive.

Now, meet said son.
This is the day he was born the day I received the plant. This is one of the best days of my life. However, I was afraid. I was afraid I would not be able to take care of my little boy well enough. I was afraid my little boy would not grow and live as he should. I was afraid.
Regardless, I eventually brought my little boy home and rooted him into our lives and home, just waiting on something to go wrong. For a while, it didn't go so well. In fact, all last year was rough and bleak for my little boy.

BUT, this is my little boy today. Happy, relatively healthy, growing strong, and developing. Developing a little behind, but developing still the same. I have watched my little boy through the last year and a half, holding my breath, trying to be positive that things would be okay. They are. See my little boy? He is our miracle.

This is a story about a plant and a little boy. Coincidence they are on the same path? You be the judge.
And if you're still reading and want to know the details of my son's condition, please feel free to go here and read his Happy Birthday message from me, recounting his first year of life.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hugs, love ya'll

Jenn said...

Aw, Reid. Corbett is doing so well. I am so proud of him and of you for making that happen :) The boy is going to be walking before long!

ChesterAndDonkey said...

Wow, what a neat story! I had goosebumps! It's amazing to see your son's pictures ... where he was and where he is now. He is a complete doll!

Wendi said...

So glad I have tissues beside my computer! I have not cried happy tears like this in a LONG time. You have such a way of thinking of things...you should be an author :)
I know this past year has been very hard you, Chuck and your families. Only you could handle it with such strength. Even if the plant does not make it, you are the best gardener for Corbett. He will continue to grow strong!
I love you!
Wendi